A Note from Dynamic Global Exchange
Welcome to the first group of summer students arriving for a wonderful cultural exchange experience! We hope to meet each of you before the end of June. We are currently planning on-site Orientation Programs, which we will couple with a Cultural Exchange activity.
As you continue to pack for departure or as you continue to settle in, please read through the list below and make sure to complete each item:
1. Remember to complete and return the Pre-Arrival Summary sheet to your International Office OR scan/email directly to us email@example.com. This confirms your arrival information so that we may assist in scheduling shuttles and informing your employer of your arrival. It also reminds you of many important things to do as you depart.
2. (Not really required, but it makes us SO happy) … "Like" our Facebook page. Simply "click-on" the Facebook button at the bottom of this email (or search for us on FB). Once you are ON our page --- click "LIKE" – this will allow you to receive our postings and other fun/important information during (and after) your program stay! And – we do love having you post on our page --- your experiences/photos/advice for others.
3. Read your Pre-Arrival packet thoroughly! Then keep our contact information in your pocket/wallet/purse. It is important to ALWAYS know how to get in touch with us (your "American mothers")! Our office phone is: 770 623 5976. The Emergency cell (ONLY for Participant Emergencies): 248 885 0004.
4. Check-in once you have arrived! Being validated in SEVIS is the ONLY way to make your program legal. Go to our home page: www.dynamicglobalexchange.com and click on "Check-in for New Arrivals" – complete and submit the form on-line.
5. Check-in with us EVERY month – before the 10th!! We want to know how you are, if you need us, and what you are doing. Remember – the U.S. Department of State REQUIRES us to TERMINATE our sponsorship of your visa if you do NOT participate in at least one cultural event EACH month. This can be something small OR something large … but, you must find ways to learn about your community – its culture and history, explore nature or activities (like sports, arts, museums, etc), and to share your own culture. You must check-in ON-LINE … www.dynamicglobalexchange.com and click-on "Monthly Contact" --- complete and submit the form on-line.
We wish for you a continued excellent program experience … or … a wonderful beginning as you wait for your home departure. As always, let us know if you need anything! See you soon …
Participant of the Month
We are very excited to introduce you to Shane Marthenuissen, our May Participant of the month! Shane joined the program from South Africa where he studies culinary arts at the Northlink College Hotel School. He joined the program in March 2013 and works as a trainee chef at the LaPlaya Beach and Golf Resort in Naples, Florida. Shane's enjoys working at a beautiful resort that overlooks the Gulf of Mexico. Shane is looking toward the future and would like to both work on a luxury cruise liner and also in Dubai. After he accomplishes those goals, he wants to use the skills he has gained to open his own restaurant and create job opportunities for young South Africans interested in the hospitality industry. Congrats on being selected as our May Participant of the Month, Shane!
Would you like to be a future Participant, Host Company or International Cooperator of the Month? Please send a photo of yourself and a note describing your experience with the program to firstname.lastname@example.org.
As we move into the spring and summer seasons, we want to make sure that all of our participants are prepared for their new positions at their host companies. We looked back into our newsletter archives and wanted to share with you some ideas about how to make the most of your first day at your placement.
For many of you, your first day at your placement is just around the corner. We have created a list of tips to help make your first day successful and to set the right tone for your time with your new employer.
– Get plenty of sleep the night before your first day- Your first day will consist of meeting new people, learning about your new responsibilities, and processing lots of new information. Being well rested will help you to think clearly and feel awake. If it all possible, practice waking up and going to sleep on your work schedule for a few days prior to your first day.
– Listen- Do your best to take in all of the new information that your manager and colleagues share with you on your first day. Whether you have formal training or shadow someone in a similar position, try to learn as much as you can by listening to their guidance and instruction.
– Take notes- You will probably receive lots of new information on your first day, probably more than you can remember. A good way to keep track of all of the new information is to keep notes about what people tell you. If something is really important, make sure to put a star or other symbol next to it so that you can easily find it when you need to refer to it later.
– Ask questions- If you don't understand a task assigned to you or you are having trouble completing an assignment because you don't understand all of the directions, you should always ask for clarification. Your employer would much rather spend a few minutes answering your questions than having you do something incorrectly. If you find yourself without anything to do, ask if there is something else that you can work on.
– Smile and be friendly- You will be spending lots of time with your new colleagues during your placement and your first day is your best chance to make a good impression. Smiling when you meet your new colleagues and making a point to remember their names will go a long way to build relationships.
We Need Your Help!
If you know someone who would be interested in joining our program as a participant, we want to meet them! Please contact us by email or by phone and we will provide you with additional information.
We are always interested in seeing your photos from your time as a participant. Please send your photos to email@example.com and let us know if we can use them to share online and with future participants and host companies.